Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tread lightly

I used to only run on a treadmill. In fact, the thought of running out on the city's streets and paths was just not a fun one. Traffic lights, people, hipsters, concrete, cabs, people, people and vomit never even made it an option.

Last night I visited my local gym after yet another riveting episode of 24 (Jack Bauer for President). Since the running craziness started, I have barely gone - I haven't needed to. I actually started noticing some tightening around the mid-section - ladies beware. I did my usual free weights workout - dumbbells for a quick chest workout as well as a little benching. You know, light stuff, like 425 lbs, or something....so, after the weights I headed over to the cardio machines, also known as "the only place the girls are." I decided that due to a St. Patty's Day setback (ie: Guiness out the wahzoo) I was going to do 6 miles to get over the guilt.

I settled on 10 minute miles which is sort of slow for me, but my coaches have been telling me to slow it down if I expect to make it through 26.2. At that rate, I'd be finished in an hour. I figured two episodes of whatever and I'd be out. Well, about ten minutes into my run , or towards the end of Seinfeld, my right knee or as I call it, my Muthaf!$#in knee started hurting. I dug deep and worked on breathing and shortening my stride, thereby reducing the impact - that kind of helped, but not really. By mile 3, I wanted off and based on how I feel today, I should have stopped. Scrubs was a good one - the episode with Colin Farrell - and it helped deflect the attention off of my bitch-ass knee. Mile 4 was bad, mile 5 was terrible and mile 6 was god-awful terrible. Those last three miles drained me. The whole time I was hoping for something to look at to get my mind off of my knee, but nothing. No trees, no people, no rich people apartments, nothing but flat screen tvs with commercials and news. I actually for the first time ever, missed running in Central Park. I had one mile to go when Scrubs finished and I was determined to finish this damn run. I turned to my backup, QB's finest, better known simply as Nas. One of the greatest all-time rappers and def one of the best of my generation. I turned the volume all the way up, actually raised the speed to 7mph bc I'm an idiot and mile 6 was conquered, barely. I was drenched in sweat and beat.

The second I stepped off the treadmill I knew it wasn't going to be a good next day. It hasn't, but it's not just because of the running. Oh....life.

Miles Ran: 6
Nas song to make you move your ass: "Made You Look"

No comments: