Sunday, March 25, 2007

In Case You Didn't Get My Update E-Mail

If you did, don't bother reading this. If not, this'll give you a quick recap of the past 3 weeks.

Dear Friends & Supporters:

Almost 1/2 way there, and I'm not freaking out quite yet...although in a couple of weeks I think I'll be having a minor panic attack. You see, part of Marathon prep is different races throughout our 3 months of training. My first major test will be the Brooklyn Half Marathon. 13.1 miles. Me. Not a runner. I don't even run away from things in my dreams. Ugh. Can I do it? Seriously? Am I ready? If I make it, will I be able to walk for the next few days? That's just a sampling of the self-doubt inducing questions that will be running through my head in the upcoming weeks.

I'm sure once the freaking out subsides, I'll be fine and that I'll finish. My hope is about a 9 minute mile pace and to look damn good doing it – style points, people!
And I am certain that with the last two months of training and your support, I will only get faster. If you want to read the very very long (and even more self-deprecating) version of the story, visit http://thebloodynipple.blogspot.com

We are about to begin hill training. This Saturday morning (in the rain probably) we'll be running all over Prospect Park in Brooklyn. I hope to reach a new personal best of 11 miles tomorrow morning (that's without stopping folks…in a row). Then, next Wednesday we'll start running a variety of drills on various hills in lovely Central Park. Well, not always lovely. In the last two weeks, we've had all kinds of weather from rain, snow, 25 degree nights and one great 55 degree one. Saturdays are our long runs where we put all our learning to the test and get accustomed (both mentally and physically) to running for long periods of time. I think from here on out, all our long runs will be at least 11 miles (he says with a quiver of fear in his voice). I am now officially grounded to low-key activities on Friday nights, and if anyone would like to join me for a movie or board game, you just let me know. The occasional Friday beer is had for those who think I've completely lost all sanity.

Now a progress report. Over the last 3 weeks I've: run 41.4 miles, registered to be a bone marrow donor, ran my first long race, started a runner's blog, drank countless amounts of Red Gatorade, bought ugly running sneakers, injured my knee then got better, learned the benefits of Vaseline and band-aids when it comes to chafing and 12 people have contributed $ 885 towards my goal of $ 4,000.
A huge thank you to those that have contributed so far!

Here's how you can contribute:

1) Visit my fundraising website:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/JohnnyC - there you can donate on-line using all major credit cards.

2) Print out, fill in the attached form (I've already filled out the event info) and send your donation using a credit card, or check/money order made out to 'The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society' and mail them to:

J.C.
485 Madison Avenue
Suite 1300
New York, NY 10022



Remember: all donations are 100% tax deductible! :) And remember to tap in to your companies matching program - many companies will match at least 50%! If you need any sort of "proof" of charity, etc. we've got all the information you need. I've also attached my original fundraising letter for reference.

For up-to-the-minute-news in fundraising, miles and to see if I still truly hate running, visit

http://thebloodynipple.blogspot.com

Thank you for all your support, running playlist song suggestions (keep 'em coming), calls, cheering and inspiration. You know how to keep this running hater going and going and going. 26.2 baby, 'till I drop at that finish line!

I love you all. Yes, even you.
Sincerely,

Johnny C

No comments: