Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Origins of the Bloody Nipple

Due to some confusion as to whether I am a)perverted, b)disgusting, or c)just weird based on the title of my blog, please let me explain.

For me, a neophyte runner, a run used to mean a few blocks to maybe a mile. It wasn't until I started training for this whole marathon thing, that I started noticing something. If you are ever in Central Park, look at what runners wear, especially men. If you notice, the more "serious/hard-core" they look, it is likely you will see them wearing something made of a material that is not cotton. Something meshy, and breathable, kind of like a basketball jersey. Ya see folks (this might get graphic), when I had my first 6 mile run which at that point was my longest run ever, I felt ok for the most part. Obviously, I was tired and my legs were a little sore, but surprisingly I hadn't died. The next day I awoke to a pain that I, as a man had never expected. Yes, you guessed it, my freakin' nipples! They hurt, like a lot and they were chafed and one even had dried blood (too much info? sorry).

Later that day I did some research (googling) to find out that it was very common especially amongst men and that there were all kinds of ways around this. Basically, when you run long distances, your shirt is rubbing up and down for miles against your skin and nipples. Cotton is the worst offender and only makes it a quicker and more painful death. I tried band-aids, vaseline and even the mesh shirts. From the time of my first and only bloody nipple, I have relied on vaseline and I continuously pray to Bill Clinton. It seems to be working so far. So that's the story of The Bloody Nipple. Isn't running so sexy and glamorous? Why am I doing this again?

No comments: