Friday, March 23, 2007

Quads of Steel


We did level 4 effort running Wednesday night in the Park. For those of you not in the know, that basically means, sprinting. Going all out for about .2 of a mile, then recovering (slow jog) for same distance, then repeat...and repeat....and then for good measure a few more times. Plus, the bonus round, cross training where we got to do my favorite: squats and lunges. If you ever want to know what your groin should not feel like, just do these about 50 times one night. Good luck with stairs and moving in general after that.

I am surprisingly fast when it comes to short distance sprinting. Fast being a relative term, of course. I didn't see any real runners looking too worried, but passing people is a damn good feeling. The flip side is that by the third or fourth go at it, I had greatly reduced my sprinting speed. I found a new partner to shadow/make fun of (it was reciprocal) and that kept me focused. She also wouldn't let me walk in between sprints. I got yelled at a lot,with "no walking!" being her choice reprimand. My defense was that my fast walk was faster than my slow jog, but she wouldn't budge and thus, I caved...women!

Yesterday, I felt a little tender, but today I am really enjoying stairs(remember opposites day?). Tomorrow it's a 8am trip to Prospect Park in far off Brooklyn (ewwwww). I'm shooting for 11+ miles and a fun filled day of playing tour guide to some out of town friends and apartment insanity. On a side note, anyone need a room in the East Village?

Miles Ran: 4.5 approx
People Passed during Sprints: I can't count that high
Quads yelling in Spanish, "Ayudame": 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that your new running buddy is super cute as well as super witty. It's a good thing she was there to make sure you weren't cheating/slacking off/being lazy by walking during your recovery. And, by the way, the making fun of was not reciprocal--in order for it to be reciprocal, you would have had to have some comebacks, which you didn't.

Anonymous said...

Yo Anonymous,
How'd you do today? I was probably too blazing fast for you to catch up this morning. Drop me a line via email.

All the best,
Anonymous 2