Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I....Hurt Myself Today

Well, not today (I just was thinking of the NIN song). Actually last Wednesday I pulled my quad while sprinting in Central Park and I was in pain. So much so, I had to stop and stretch for about a half hour and then swallow my pride and "give up" for the night. We were working on a level 4 (highest level) mile, followed by a second and a third to get an idea of our ideal pace. The coaches told us our 2nd and 3rd miles would be between 15-30 seconds slower (I never got that chance). I decided to run my first mile with the advanced group because I knew that I could definitely hang for at least the first mile. Also, there's less of them and I didn't want to feel crowded. I shot out and got off to a very fast pace, but then I felt it almost instantly, my right quad. I was not going to stop and I didn't. I knew once I stopped, the pain would only worsen and pretty much right there I knew that once I stopped I was done. 7:02 minutes later, almost completely out of breath and ready to hurl, my mile was over. I repeat, 7 minutes later. If you don't think that's fast, try that on a flat treadmill and then if you can pull that off, see if you can do it in hilly Central Park. My fastest mile, ever. I did pay the price though as I limped my sorry-ass home.

Saturday was redemption time. Feeling still a little shaky with the quad, but much better overall, we decided to go out for 10. Roxie and I were thinking 12, but we both had a race the following day and wanted to save something for it. Good call. We did one full loop, then followed it up with a middle loop to finish the 10. Second trip around sucked and we were both feeling it. I was worried about the quad, but I shortened my stride to avoid the stretch on it and kept to a very manageable pace, about 10 minute miles. I now know the trails in CP like a pro. I know when the hills are coming and when there's stretches of grass to run along as well so I'm better mentally prepared for those longer runs.

Afterwards, we were invited to a TNT event called "Connection to the Cause." After chowing down on some bagels, we were invited to the auditorium where we were pretty much thanked for being awesome (duh!) and raising all of this money. We were also shown a video dealing with a leukemia survivor who benefited from the L & L Society's help and how he was giving back by volunteering at a hospital with another kid battling leukemia. I'm not gonna lie, when you combine cheesy music (see Coldplay) and images of little kids going through chemotherapy, it's kind of impossible to not be touched. I was in the company of a lot of women (as I always am at TNT events) and I cried, but hid it damn well. Just a drop, but damnit that video moved me.

I have doubts about this marathon thing - I've said that since day one. Can I do it? Will I do it? Can I raise the money I've committed to raise? Will people hate me if I bug them to donate? etc etc, but seeing that kid smile after years of chemo and dealing with a life no child deserves made me feel good that I'm doing something that's not about me. I guess I've grown up a bit. Life's too short to only worry about your own shit. Ya gotta do your part - I hope this marathon thing is only the beginning of me doing "my part." It's hard, but so is sitting on your ass and accepting complacency.

ps: I ran 3 miles the night before injuring myself from the East Village to the U.N. and back.

Miles Ran: 3+1+10=14
Tears Spilt: 0 (I caught them in my hand)

No comments: