Saturday, June 9, 2007

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING




On Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 at approximately 10:40 A.M. PST in the city of San Diego yours truly officially became a marathoner with a finishing time of 4:09:05 (didn't start until 2:07 into race). This means I beat both Diddy and Oprah's marathon times which is really what it's all about!

To all of you who have pushed me from my "I'm running a marathon" email 3 months ago to those who dealt with my last minute freak out sessions 5 days ago, I can only say thank you. I felt like I was running out there with all of you. It may sound cheesy, but I found strength in knowing I had so many people back home cheering me on.

I will write more about the specifics of marathon day soon, but for now I just wanted to let you know that I did survive and actually finished in a pretty decent time for a novice who had never run more than 2 miles a few months ago - the human body and mind continues to surprise me!

I was cruising until mile 20 and on pace to run a 3:57:00, but it was not to be. I hit "the wall" and felt destroyed, physically, mentally and emotionally. In the last hour that I struggled to finish the remaining 6.2 miles I experienced every single human emotion. I lived an entire life in sixty minutes. Luckily, I survived and even have a shiny medal to prove it.

Emil Zatopek was a famous runner who said "If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon." Damn you Zatopek, but you were right. It has changed my life.

Miles ran: 26.2
Finished: 3,605 of ~20,000
First Marathons: Only One
Emotions experienced: way too f' many




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean that I can't call you "rookie" any more? Congrats again, dude - job well done. Be proud!

Peter

Unknown said...

so proud of you. ughhhh you beat me time asshole. love you marathon runner.

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO proud of you!

Chris Murphy Peck
Info Diva

Carlee said...

Oh my god, John. That is such an amazing achievement. I am proud of you and also inspired by the actions you took to support something you care about. Makes me kinda want to stop doing so much talking, and a little more...something. Running? Congratulations buddy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations also from this side of the planet!
And by the way, concerning your "bloody nipple" title you should
start wearing the new ENDORPHINUM
shirt:
http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?article_id=5100751&view_id=243

Know what i mean ;)

Carlos "El Comandante" Pinto
Urban Sport Guerrilla
www.endorphinum.de

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.